Saturday, June 11, 2011

“Mommy! Didn’t I tell you!! Didn’t I tell You!!”

I still remember that day. I think, no, I am sure; I was in the 1st standard.
We were all taken to the ground and asked who wants to run?

Almost all of us came forward, but the PT sir selected only some of us—I think about ten—and I was one of them.
We were all asked to stand in a horizontal line and were told that, when the whistle was blown, we had to run to the tree in front of us, where our class teacher was standing.
It seemed to be a long, long way away.

But then we were told that whoever reached the tree first would be given a chocolate and a trophy! Suddenly, it didn't seem that far away anymore!

We all became serious, and our ears were waiting to hear just one thing—the whistle!

Pheeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwww!!!!

We all ran as if there were no tomorrow!

After we reached the finish line, I didn't even notice who had come first. I was just panting!

My class teacher came over to me and hugged me. She gave me a glass of water and two Melody toffees. It was only then that I realized I had come first!

I was told that I would be given the trophy on the Annual Day, which was that weekend.

That day, I eagerly waited for my mom to return from work. As soon as she came home, I told her that I would be receiving a trophy in front of everyone on Annual Day. My mom didn't quite know how to react to the little kid's excitement, but she played along and said, "Yes, you will."

On the Annual Day, my mom and I (my dad was out of town) were seated in the back rows of the hall. I kept excitedly telling her that my name would be called.

This time, however, my mom said, "I just hope they call your name. But even if they don't, it doesn't matter. I'll get you a trophy."

I realized she was worried that it might all have been a misunderstanding, and that I would end up heartbroken if my name wasn't called.

Then, suddenly, my name was announced!

My mom was ecstatic and visibly relieved. She nudged me to go up on stage, and I simply bolted towards it, received the trophy and certificate, raced back to her, handed them over, and kept saying, "Mommy! Didn't I tell you? Didn't I tell you?"

I could see a tear or two in her eyes.

That was the very first prize I ever won. I have won many more since then, but this one will always remain the most special.

Coincidentally, I also finished my school days by winning the gold medal in the 100-metre race in my 12th standard.

I began and ended my schooling with a gold medal in the 100-metre dash!


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

too sweet...Happy 4 tat 6 yr old :-)

gudipudi said...

dude, the liked the way you narrated this short sweet story.

VIVEK E A said...

ThnX SM!!
btw it was a 5 yr old kid!! :-)

VIVEK E A said...

Thnx Ramu!!

Krishna said...

Hahaha! Good one Vivek! Brought back school memories!

VIVEK E A said...

Thnkz Kriz!!

VIVEK E A said...

Kriz,

Do have a look at http://vivekea.blogspot.com/2011/06/beggar-who-danced-and-thief-who-sang.html
you will see some familliar names and eventz there!

Unknown said...

Shweet :) :)